Once we had paneer korma at a restaurant in Mumbai (Bombay) which was absolutely delicious. As is her wont my mum decided to make it at home. Since she of course did not have the recipe, it was different from the restaurant version but it definitely was very delicious.
- 250 grams paneer chopped into small cubes.
- One big onion boiled and ground to a paste.
- 2 cloves (segments) of garlic ground to a paste.
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Kashmiri chilli powder and salt to taste.
- One teaspoon coriander and cumin mix powder.
- Cashew nuts chopped into small pieces.
- Heat a table spoon of oil.
- Add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, 3 cloves, one green cardamom, a small stick of cinnamon and a bay leaf (bay leaf is optional).
- Once the masalas begin to crackle, add ginger and garlic paste, turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, coriander and cumin mix powder.
- Stir the spices well
- Add 2 tablespoons of yoghurt and stir well.
- Add the onion paste and stir.
- Add the chopped paneer and chopped cashew nuts and a bit of water (you may use the whey if you have made the paneer at home).
- Add a pinch of sugar and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook till the gravy thickens.