Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Plantain Cutlets

As I had mentioned in my previous post, It is Tasty Ma! completed five years on August 4, 2015. I frankly cannot believe that the blog came this far. I always thought of myself as someone who was not too fond of cooking, I cooked because I had to eat. Much to my surprise, I found that, not only have I begun to enjoy cooking but also love sharing whatever I cook. I do not claim to be an expert, but am just someone who is discovering the joys of cooking and just wants to share it with the world. 


The blog has been given a new look.  More changes are in the pipeline. While that is happening, I thought I will share the recipe of Plantain Cutlets.

Whenever my mother cooked plantain and found that there was an excess of the dish and realized that we were getting bored with it, she invariably made these cutlets -- she did not call them cutlets, she called it kaach kolar chop. I decided to call them cutlets, anyway whatever we call it, rest assured it is a lovely snack. 
Kaach Kolar Torkari
Before you make the cutlets you have to first cook the plantains or rather make the kaach kolar torkari as we Bengalis call it.  Click here for the video and recipe of the Plantain Dish/Kaach Kolar Torkari. 

Plantain Cutlets
Here is a video of the making of the Plantain Cutlets.


In case the window above does not open then here is the link to the video: https://youtu.be/_-bN2tdpT4k

If you have a problem viewing the video, then below is the recipe of Plantain Cutlets.

Recipe 

Keep aside a portion of the plantain dish for these cutlets.

To further enhance the flavour of the dish chop some fresh coriander leaves and add it to the dish.

Add some chilli powder, chopped green chilliies (if you wish to) and some garam masala powder to it. Add some besan (chickpea flour). The quantity of the besan will depend on the quantity of the dish.

Moisten a slice of bread, squeeze out the water and add it to the dish.

Taste a bit and adjust the salt. At this stage I usually test it by making a small ball and deep frying it, if it does not disintegrate then I know the besan is just right, or else I add a bit more besan. Take care not to add too much of besan or you will end up with an overwhelming flavour of the besan which is likely to overshadow the other flavours.

Divide the mixture into equal portions, giving them whatever shape you like and deep fry them.

Serve hot with tomato sauce or any chutney. It is quite tasty, believe me! 


Alternative recipe 

In case you do not want to make the Kaach Kolar Torkari then follow the following steps:

Boil the plantains and potatoes, take more of the plantain and less of the potatoes.

Add chilli powder, chopped green chillies, garam masala powder, a little grated ginger or ginger paste and salt to taste.

To bind the mixture add a little besan and also add a slice of moistened bread to the mixture.

Now mix well, divide into equal portions and deep fry after shaping them as you wish.

This version of the cutlets will have a milder flavour as compared to the one made from the Kaach Kolar Torkari, as the cutlets will have the flavours of all the masalas (spices) that are present in the dish.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! Even though I don't usually eat deep-fried things, I do indulge now and then - and the Bengali 'chop', whether it's chicken or fish or vegetarian, is one of my favourites. This one, I don't think I've ever eaten. Should try it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very tasty Madhu, but fried food always is. Hold on I am at the moment experimenting with some grilled snacks, once I crack it I am going to share it here. You can then indulge.

      Delete
    2. Good! Grilled or baked snacks are much more my style. :-) Looking forward to whenever you've perfected them and can share the recipes!

      Delete
    3. I am really looking forward to sharing something new and different, hope you like it.

      Delete