Thursday, July 10, 2014

Kadhi – A Yoghurt Based Dish (With Video)


Kadhi, an Indian word that is quite difficult to spell using the Roman alphabet, is quite  popular particularly amongst the North Indians and those from Gujarat and Rajasthan. Everybody has their own version of the kadhi. Bengalis too have taken to it although it is not a traditional Bengali dish. Most Bengalis have it as a side dish. My mum made both the kadhi with  pakoras as well as the plain one without the pakoras. My mother’s special touch was the Kashmiri mirchi ka chaunk (the tempering with Kashmiri chilli powder), she used pure ghee usually home made. 

 I have embedded the video demonstration (below) that is quite easy to follow, but all the same here is the detailed recipe.


Ingredients:

  • 150 – 200ml – Yoghurt (I used home made yoghurt)
  • Approximately 4-5 tablespoons – Chickpea flour (besan)
  • A little turmeric powder
  • Kashmiri Chilli powder
  • Chopped green chillies (optional)
  • Approximately quarter teaspoon- mustard seeds
  • Approximately quarter teaspoon – cumin seeds
  • A few curry leaves
  • Salt and sugar to taste
  • Required quantity of oil or pure ghee (clarified butter)

Method:

Beat the yoghurt. You have to add the chickpea flour to this yoghurt.
In order to prevent lumps from forming, first mix the chickpea flour in a little water, take care to see that no lumps have formed.
Add this mixture to the beaten yoghurt.
Heat a little oil or pure ghee, add curry leaves, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
Once the seeds begin to crackle stir a bit and add the yoghurt mixture.
Add turmeric powder and chopped green chillies. As I do not eat green chillies, I did not use them.
Add a little water and allow it boil.
Add salt and sugar to taste. I like my kadhi a little sweet so I accordingly adjusted the quantity of sugar.
Cook for a while, taste to see whether it is done.
Once it is done. Heat a little oil or pure ghee, add a little Kashmiri chilli powder to it and add this to the kadhi.
Heat the kadhi once more.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
It is better to use pure ghee, it tastes better, I used oil for health reasons.



4 comments:

  1. Finally, I've been able to access your blog! For some odd reason, none of the blogspot blogs I frequent were accessible for the past couple of days. :-(

    Good recipe, Shilpi. I don't often make pakorewaali kadhi, mainly because the idea of those deep-fried pakoras scares me a bit. But I do love kadhi nevertheless! My mother-in-law makes an interesting addition to the kadhi: at the end, she tempers it with ghee, mustard seeds, and curry leaves. Gives it a whole new dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes my mum used to also use ghee for the tempering, really ghee really gives it that extra edge, but (sigh!) I have to be careful. I do not remember exactly but now that you mention it I think my mum used to also do the tempering with the ghee at the end and not at the beginning like I do, but I am not too sure. Glad you could finally access my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When read it seems easy to make shall try it out this week.

    ReplyDelete